Covid-19 Update

In this time of uncertainty we hope that our guests can look ahead to a time when life can resume more normal rhythms, and consider joining us again here in Zermatt to enjoy our pristine pistes, clean mountain air and peaceful, secluded chalets; however we understand that making a commitment to travel at this time is not without worry. We would therefore like to reassure anyone looking to book with us that your peace of mind is our top priority; our valued new and existing guests are at the forefront of our mind during these times and we hope that our new cancellation policies, combined with stringent new hygiene procedures, will reassure and help you feel confident booking with us for the seasons ahead.

Our beautiful, stand-alone properties offer a “home-from-home”, with spectacular Matterhorn views from your private terraces, and sensitive staffing tailored to your preferences; we offer complete privacy to enjoy your much-needed holiday, and our concierge team are on hand to assist with travel arrangements & plan your perfect stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Zermatt.

Elysian Collection.

Winter 2020-2021 Updated Cancellation Terms

Cost-free cancellation guarantee until 14 days prior to your arrival date if you are unable to travel as a result of the following COVID-related circumstances:

  • Formal government travel advice from your country of departure against travel to Switzerland
  • Country border closures preventing travel from country of departure or arrival to Switzerland
  • Unavailability of flights/transport to Property

In the event of the above you will be refunded 100% of your booking cost.

If you are unable to travel due to the above COVID-related circumstances within the 14 days prior to your arrival date, you will receive a refund of 85% of your booking cost.

Summer 2020 Booking Terms

To reassure you for this summer ahead, we have revised our booking terms:

We have reduced our booking deposit to 20%.

Your remaining 80% balance will not be due until 14 days prior to your arrival date.

If you need to cancel prior to your balance payment due to the below COVID-related circumstances your 20% deposit will be kept as credit for another booking with us within the next 24 months:

  • Formal government travel advice from your country of departure against travel to Switzerland
  • Country border closures preventing travel from country of departure or arrival to Switzerland
  • Unavailability of flights/transport to Property

In the event that you cannot travel due to the above reasons after payment of your remaining balance you will receive a full refund of your 80% balance with the remaining 20% held as credit for a future booking, which must be taken within 24 months.

Hygiene Measures:

We believe it is important that we all play our part in helping to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and we want to reassure you of the steps we are making to take the stress out of holidaying -

  • Chalets will be left vacant for 3 days between bookings for maximum peace of mind
  • Safety and hygiene will be our top priority, with rigorous cleaning and sanitising in line with up to date recommendations
  • Staff health & temperatures will be carefully monitored daily
  • Our Concierge Team will be on hand to help guests with travel & holiday arrangements, including assistance booking private flights, luxury private road transfers and relaxing in-resort activities